Food security and safety, pests and climate change are just a few of the challenges facing agriculture in Ontario and around the world. As an agri-food industry leader in North America, Ontario is poised to address these important hurdles and opportunities in order to continue producing abundant nutritious food and healthy animals for its 14 million residents.
The agri-food sector is a major economic driver in Ontario, generating $37.6 billion a year in gross domestic product (GDP). Ontario boasts a large and diverse agricultural sector, with rich lands supporting over 49,600 farms and producing over 200 agricultural commodities. The food and beverage processing sector is the largest in Canada, and one of North America’s most significant. Ontario also enjoys an extensive network of world-leading universities, colleges, unique commercialization facilities and industries that assist researchers and manufacturers in bringing innovative agri-food products to market.
Ontario has benefited immensely from research, investments and innovation in the agricultural sector: improving food security, increasing crop yields, producing higher quality livestock, and supporting new products for emerging and growing markets such as omega-3 eggs, Millennium Asparagus™ and Cold Snap™ pears. Ontario Genomics engages with companies and end-users in the agricultural sector (including crops, horticulture, livestock, aquaculture and food & beverage industries) to achieve better outcomes by facilitating access to cutting edge genomics tools.
Within the agricultural sector, genomics helps to:
- Support and enhance global food security by understanding and protecting the health of key pollinator species such as honeybees, which pollinate 75% of major global crops
- Increase crop yields and improve resistance to disease, pests, frost, drought and floods
- Improve human and animal health by breeding higher quality livestock with favourable traits
- Bring new innovative agri-food products to market
- Improve food safety, quality and traceability while decreasing food waste
At Ontario Genomics, we aim to understand both the challenges and opportunities in the agriculture sector. We will work with you to help find innovative solutions to address these needs. Learn more about how Ontario Genomics can help your business.
Contact Elaine Corbett, Director, Sector Innovation & Programs.