GiSIRT Webinar Dates
When: Friday, Mar 22, 2019 11:00 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
When: Monday, Mar 25, 2019 1:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
Genome Canada has announced a Request for Applications (RFA) for the Genomics in Society Interdisciplinary Research Teams Program. This program aims to facilitate collaborations and dialogue among researchers and other key stakeholders to ensure effective and responsible translation of innovative genomics applications into sectors capable of transformation by genomics advances.
This program will support teams of researchers from diverse disciplines to address issues at the intersection of genomics and society. Research teams of at least three researchers from different disciplines investigating the advancement, adoption, evaluation, and governance of genomics research are encouraged to apply.
Proposal Focus Areas
- Stream 1: proposals mainly impacting the human health sector
- Stream 2: proposals mainly impacting the agriculture/agri-food and/or aquaculture/fisheries sectors
- Stream 3: proposals mainly impacting the natural resources (forestry, energy, mining) and/or environment sectors
Proposals that address multiple sectors across two or three streams are also eligible to apply.
To be eligible, proposals must:
- Respond to the objectives of the competition;
- Take an interdisciplinary approach to address topics that will have a national impact;
- Include at least three researchers from different disciplines at the Leader or Co-Investigator level;
- Demonstrate an active collaboration with relevant genomics scientific and user communities in the planning and conduct of the research with findings having the potential to enhance practices or policies within these communities.
- There is approximately $3 million available from Genome Canada.
- Approximately one-third of the available Genome Canada funding will be invested in each of the three streams as defined above with the goal of funding at least one team in each of the three streams.
- Genome Canada will contribute between $500,000 and $1 million with the amount of co-funding from eligible sources at least equal to the Genome Canada contribution.
- Successful teams will be awarded funding for a term of up to four years.
Application Material and Relevant Links
RFA and Guidelines
Full Application Forms
Genome Canada Competition webpage link
In order to better prepare the projects being submitted from Ontario for this competition, Ontario Genomics will engage external reviewers and advisors to perform a friendly review of the draft applications and facilitate strategy sessions. Please note that to accommodate this process the OG deadlines differ from those in the official RFA from Genome Canada. Applicants will receive feedback on their applications including gaps and areas for improvement to be addressed prior to submission to Genome Canada.
Researchers in Ontario intending to submit an application are strongly encouraged to contact Ontario Genomics, if having not already done so, to discuss details of the competition such as the scope, the application process, tips for writing the Benefits to Canada Section of the proposal, and co-funding requirements.
|May 16, 2019||Draft Registrations due to Ontario Genomics (OG)|
|May 27, 2019 at 10 am||Final Registrations due to OG|
|May 30, 2019||Eligible Registrations due to Genome Canada|
|June 27, 2019||Draft Full Application due to OG|
|August 23, 2019 at 10 am||Final Full Applications due to OG|
|September 11, 2019||Full Applications due to Genome Canada|
|Mid-November 2019||Review Committee Meets|
|December 2019||Notification of Decision|
If you have questions about this program or would like to discuss the fit of your proposal idea within the focus of this program, please contact:
Dennis McCormac, Associate Vice President Science & Technology
firstname.lastname@example.org | t. 416-673-6590
Ann Meyer, Advisor, Sector Innovation & Programs
email@example.com | t. 416-673-6587