Ontario Genomics (formerly the Ontario Genomics Institute) is a not-for-profit intermediary organization funded by the Ontario government and the federal research funding agency Genome Canada.
Established in 2000, Ontario Genomics is the only entity focused solely on stimulating, enabling and nurturing genomics innovation in the province of Ontario. We act as a catalyst for developing and applying genomic technologies across seven key sectors – agriculture, bioproducts, energy, forestry, health, mining, and water – to grow the province’s knowledge-based economy and create jobs and social benefits for all Ontarians.
- More funds for genomics research in Ontario
- Genomics contributing to the establishment of effective and cost-conscious public services, such as healthcare
- Established genomics companies investing and operating in Ontario
- An innovative milieu in which genomics start-ups develop, mature, and accelerate along the business growth pipeline, creating jobs and wealth in Ontario
2016-2020 Strategic Plan
- Goal 1: Bring at least 40% of the total Genome Canada dollars available between 2016 and 2020 into Ontario.
- Goal 2: Enhance the sourcing of high-potential applied genomics research projects by 20% by 2020.
- Goal 3: Increase the annual average number of genomics-focused opportunities aimed at enhancing industrial priorities by 25% by 2020.
- Goal 4: Increase the annual average number of Ontario Genomics clients that move on to generate sales revenue or receive follow-on commercialization investment from downstream partners by 20% by 2020.